Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beginning the God Question

The existence or nonexistence of a God is irrelevant without proper context. I want to be happy. Any idea of God is only useful to me insofar as it can facilitate my happiness.

God must be consistent. God can only exist if there is a philosophy and theology embracing all truth that is consistent with the existence of such a being.

If there is an unresolved inconsistency between God and reality either reality or God cannot exist.

I will define my reality as the only one I know that exists: my Cartesian reality. Things as I perceive them through my senses when my consciousness believes myself to be awake are and can be my only reality. Any other definition would not make sense for me. Reality is my perception of things as they are. Reality is truth as known through the looking glass of my existence; reality is truth as I perceive it through my senses.

Reality exists. Now only God may or may not exist.

What sort of God may exist consistent with himself (for lack of better word) and reality?

It may be useful to test out several globally and historically prevalent ideas of God for consistency with this framework. If a consistent idea exists then that idea should be examined further as a possibly accurate idea of an existent God.

I start with the assumption that there is no God and look for a possible counterexample. I must first assume the lack of a God because to believe in a God without having an idea of God is inconsistent.

God Ideas:
1. God the Punisher
2. God the Gentle
3. God the All-Being
4. God the Many
5. God the Nitpicker
6. God the Distant
7. God the Optimizer

No comments:

Post a Comment